Google Drive is one of the most important services by Google. You can store anything on drive. From pictures to videos to documents, Google Drive is our first choice to store important date. However, Google Drive comes with a limit of 15GB of space.
This 15GB stores everything associated with your Google account. Gmail and Google Photos use the same storage space. Once you have exceeded your limit, you cannot store anything more. So how do you get more space in your Google Drive account?
Before you read further, you can check your current storage status by clicking this link.
Following are some simple ways that you can follow to increase Google Drive storage:
1 – Delete files you no longer need
Old files that you no longer need can eat a huge chunk of storage space over time. While cleaning up this junk, I had delete over 8GB of data that I no longer needed. It’s always a good practice, to delete the files you don’t need anymore. Here’s how you can do that:
- Follow this link. The page will show you a list of all of your files in your drive account. The list is sorted by size so you can delete large files first.
- Click the gear-shaped icon in Drive’s upper-right corner, and select “Settings,” followed by “Manage Apps.”
- Check all the apps one by one and delete any hidden that they have.
2 – Compress Photos:
If you like to take selfies and have tons of them in your Google Drive account, then they are eating a lot of space without any doubt. Google has provided a solution to bring down the storage these photos take. Follow these steps:
- Visit Photos settings page by clicking here.
- Select “High Quality(free unlimited storage)”.
- Once you have selected the High Quality option, click on the ‘Recover Storage’ button.
- This will compress your photos and save a lot of space.
- The quality of compressed photos will be as good as the original ones. It would hardly be noticeable for the most.
3 – Delete Gmail Junk
Gmail is also linked to your Google Drive account. So all those files that you received in your email, used your Drive’s storage. In case you have deleted your Gmail junk, it still resides in the Trash folder. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open your Gmail account.
- Delete emails that are not important.
- Click on “Spam” folder and then delete everything by clicking on “Delete all Spam messages now”.
- Next, open the “Trash” folder and do the same by selecting “Empty Trash Now”. This will delete all of your emails from Trash folder and they won’t be recoverable again. Make sure you delete everything carefully.
These simple steps may not shoot up your Drive storage space but they will definitely help you in storing new pictures of your memorable moments.